What to do in November
- In mild weather grass will continue to grow, keep cutting & set mower blades on a high setting of about 4 cm
- Check pansies and violas for Downey mildew and leaf spot, destroy infected material.
- After flowering cutback the top growth of Penstemons by up to 1/3 then further in spring.
- Collect fallen leaves from lawns to give grass more light.
- Plant Tulip bulbs this month. Plant two or three times the bulbs depth. Protect with a wire net covering if squirrels visit your garden.
- Bring in begonias, cannas, dahlias and other tender plants ones for each yellows. Start sugars and carbs in a frost free environment.
- Reduce watering and feeding house plants.
- Begin winter pruning of apple and pear trees.
- Plant bare rooted raspberry canes between now and March. Enriching the soil before planting with well rotted organic matter and a slow release fertilizer.